In June 1980, the first Maison de la Danse (Dance Centre) in France opened in Lyon; a centre for the performance of all forms of dance.
The Maison de la Danse will be giving 200 performances by 34 companies from 15 countries in a programme in which dance and the widest types of aesthetic forms overlap and confront each other, from creations to popular shows. Today, 26 years later, Lyon has become one of the cities in which dance is most loved. The public shows great interest in, is curious about, and has respect for unique artists.
The Lyon National Opera House is one of the finest examples of theatrical architecture from the 2nd half of the 20th century! Built in 1993 by Jean Nouvel, it can now be considered a part of our international heritage.
OPERA “The Lyon Opera House is the most interesting operatic stage" Sunday Telegraph “The Lyon Opera House Choir is probably the best in France.” Le Monde
Classic, romantic, baroque or contemporary: Up to 15 operas per season.
DANCE “One of the world's choreographic jewels" Libération “One of the glories of French contemporary dance! “ The New York Times
The Lyon Opera Ballet: a company of classic training focussing on contemporary dance.
CONCERTS Symphonic concerts and recitals in the large theatre. Jazz, chamber music and world music in the Amphitheatre.
SUMMER The Péristyle Jazz-café: Jazz concerts all summer under the Opera archways.
Les Subsistances, laboratory of artisitic creation, is a place of confrontation and experimentation devoted to the new languages of the performing arts such as dance, theatre and circus acts.
It offers artists a period of residence (accommodation, work spaces and financial aid). Their explorations lead to public events: sites, performances, shows, meetings, etc. Aside from the theatre, dance and circus programme, there are a number of inventive creation weekends and also the "Intranquilles festival” to fill the season.
Les Subsistances occupies the old Sainte-Marie des Chaînes convent, built at the beginning of the 17th century by the Order of the Visitation.
In 1789, the religious establishment was declared a property of the state. In 1807, it was handed over to the army. At the beginning of the 20th century, the site was used for packing combat rations, wine, baking bread, roasting coffee and grinding wheat.
Renamed the Military "Subsistances" (subsistence) in 1941, the building progressively ceased to be used and became the property of the city in 1995.
Since 1999, the site Les Subsistances has been a place dedicated to creation and various cultural projects have been initiated there. In November 2003, the association Les Nouvelles Subsistances came under the management of Guy Walter and Cathy Bouvard. The site will also welcome, from March 2007, the Lyon Ecole Nationale des Beaux Arts (Art College).